Thursday, June 08, 2006

Blogger Etiquette Part II

Yesterday, I started writing about Blogger Etiquette. Not sure I was the right person to write about this, but the good thing about this blog is that I am the editor in chief, and it makes little difference what others think. So, nana nana nana.

Now I will continue this entry.

Asking to Link to My Site
Occasionally I will get a comment saying, "Can I link to your site?" The first time I saw this, I thought it was akin to hubbie asking if he can do the dishes – why the heck would I ever say "no". I don't ask when I link others, and I hope that is not considered rude. I link so that I can find you, not that others can. That being said, I know of at least one person who I don't link to but I adore her writing. I know what you are thinking: I have a girl crush on her. Well, to that, I say, "I am not telling."

Asking Me to Link to Your Site
A while back, I had several people who said, "Link to me please. I linked to you." One person even had a good site, but I did not link to the person precisely because I was asked. I don't want to have a ton of people who I read all of the time, and my blog links are people I read, not people I do advertising for.

Length of Blogs
Internet stories should be shorter than print stories. I know this, many people know this. Most of us are reading these blogs on a computer – not printing them out and reading them later. I try to keep my entries to one page in my word processor. I am not saying people can't write longer, but it is something I want to do. I read someone's blog the other day, and it was so freaking long, I did not read the whole post. And I am sure others would do the same to me.

Half-Nekkid Thursday
Seeing what happened to Mike last month, I don't think I want to talk about (HNT) (Half-Nekkid Thursday). You know how Social Security used to be the "third rail" in politics. HNT seems to be the "third rail" in blogging. Not sure why. What I found fascinating is that HNT is only about one year old, and it is so pervasive. So I will leave this one alone as well.

Labeling Videos
I sort of wish everyone would label their video feeds. I am so stupid when it comes to music, and I don't know many current groups. And several people don't label their videos. Not that I am mentioning anyone by name. That would make me a bitch.

Down for Maintenance
This is a message I have seen today: "Blogger is temporarily unavailable due to an unexpected problem. We will be back up as soon as possible." I like blogger, but it seems to be down a lot lately. This post is late because of the downtime. And blogger did not mention why they are down now (Wednesday). I have not even posted yet.

I have tried several times to post today, without any luck. So I guess I may not post today. Tomorrow is another day!

16 comments:

mikster said...

Wise move leaving HNT out. I lost readership due to that.

*sniffle*

Anonymous said...

I never ask people if I can link to them. That's silly. I hate when people ask me as well.

nosthegametoo said...

You make good points on all of these.

No wonder I'm such a fan.

Leesa said...

mike: yeah, I don't read you anymore because of the HNT stuff. Joking!

freshair: sometimes I wonder if they want you to link to them.

nos: thanks.

shon: interesting take.

Pittchick said...

I wonder if Miss Manners would address blogging etiquette?

Pittchick said...

I wonder if Miss Manners would address blogging etiquette?

Leesa said...

dna: that's what I thought I was doing. Ms. Manners doesn't use a comuter.

shannon: you don't label your videos? Really?

Party Girl said...

Blogger is fantastic, when it is actually working. Could it be a bigger pain in the ass, probably therefore I count my blessings.

Linking: I agree. It's for me, not others. Although, obviously if I like your blog and I see other links that catch my eye, I assume they are worth reading as well. If the said blogger I have linked to has pissed me off or hasn't posted a comment in eons, I am going to assume they no longer read me and I delete them. Mostly though it has to do with pissing me off.

Long blogs: I have done a few. I try to do it not at all. However, sometimes I just have something longer to say. However, when others do it, I skip or skim.

Party Girl said...

Blogger is fantastic, when it is actually working. Could it be a bigger pain in the ass, probably therefore I count my blessings.

Linking: I agree. It's for me, not others. Although, obviously if I like your blog and I see other links that catch my eye, I assume they are worth reading as well. If the said blogger I have linked to has pissed me off or hasn't posted a comment in eons, I am going to assume they no longer read me and I delete them. Mostly though it has to do with pissing me off.

Long blogs: I have done a few. I try to do it not at all. However, sometimes I just have something longer to say. However, when others do it, I skip or skim.

Party Girl said...

see, case in point about blogger, posted me twice.

To clarify: When I delete someone it means they have offended me personally on my blog. Not that they offended me by something they said on theirs.

Lee Ann said...

Good tips on the blogging etiquette. I agree, I don't ask to link...is that rude? I honestly don't mind when people link me without asking, I think it is cool!
You are right, HNT seems to be a sore subject. I think even most people that participate in it, will not go to a site if it is "too much", but I will stay away from that subject too.
I know most people that write a long post, have something they want to tell and a lot of times is interesting. I have so many favorites that I want to get around to everyone, so if it is long I will usually move on and try to come back later.
Have a great weekend Leesa!

kathi said...

One of my biggest pet peeves is getting emails asking why I've not linked them? Why would I? Have they ever seen more than a comment or two in the year I've been blogging? If I don't read them, why would I link them? I'm like you, I link to make it easier for me to read theirs daily...and because, I suppose, I want them to be read by others...but mostly for me. I've had some real jerks email me though, nearly demanding I link them. Yeah...that works with me, LOL.

Leigh said...

Thanks for this post! Have a great weekend.

Neal said...

Hey, will you link to me? :O)

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

I don't think I've ever asked to link to anyone...unless I knew it was their "secret" blog. So far, no one has had a problem with it.

I've nver done a HNT picture...mainly because The Peanut King would (did) get a major attitude when he found out I have a blog. If he found out I had a blog with half nekkid pictures of myself on it, he would go absolutley BALLISTIC. Ummm...no thanks....I'll keep my bellybutton piercing under wraps, thanks...;)

*sigh* I know, I know...every now and then I have a post so long even I don't want to read it...;)

Have a great weekend, Leesa...:)

Leesa said...

PG: have you deleted me lately? Just wondering.

lee ann: I would think HNT is a sore subject when mixed with spanking. Just thinking!

kathi: yeah, and you never answer your e-mails either! I want you to link to me.

leigh: you are welcome

neal: maybe not.

stacy: you are an elegant blogger.