Monday, July 10, 2006

Turn Signals and Orlando Bloom

Okay, I posted early for Monday. I think I actually posted on Friday afternoon for my Monday post. Partly because I didn't want to chicken out, partly because I really wanted to take Monday off. Oooppss. Did I just write that?

This morning, coming to work, I saw someone who was pulled over by the police. A really bad spot, near an intersection. Well, I figured he was stopped for speeding, but here is the interesting part. After the police got back in the car, and he started, he made a right hand turn without turning on his turn signal, and the police officer stopped him again. Can you think to yourself: son-of-a-bitch? And it looked like there was a couple in the car – a man and woman at least.

I would have to bite my tongue were I in the passenger side seat. "So one ticket was not enough, sweetie?" How do you break another driving rule when you were just stopped? I don't get it. And I am not all over the police officer in this one. I mean, the person was violating a traffic rule.

Not sure if you have ever been to Georgia, but we Georgians drive differently. You see, we never use our turn signals. So if you see one of us slow down, odds are good that we are going to turn. See when a tourist slows down, it normally means they are looking for a street or are lost – we just want to turn. Now, I don't drive like a Georgian because I don't assume that people are psychic – I mean, some of these people are South Carolinians, and it is a known fact that these people can't read minds. Heck, half of them can't read. Okay, that was a little bit over the top – I am just pissy because if I look at things objectively, South Carolina has a heck of a lot to offer. I mean, the difference between Charleston and Savannah is that you are far less likely to be murdered in Charleston. I actually think that is in their ads.

Well, I did want to write a bit this morning, if nothing else but to give those who have commented yesterday a chance to read a bit of fluff. I mean, I can't always write deep stuff, especially because I pour my blood into certain posts. Part of me just wants to ask Shakira to sing "Hips Don't Lie" to me while I get a massage by Orlando Bloom. I mean, what girl wouldn't?

13 comments:

MOAB said...

I got a ticket a couple weeks ago for speeding in a residential area. Which really hurt because I have been known to shout at cars driving too fast past my house.
Damn cell phone.

You can have Orlando, but can I come warch Shakira with you?
I just want to see how her costumes are constructed and of what type of fabric.
Honest.

Leesa said...

monica: deal! I sort of want her to teach me a few of her moves. Oh, my, hubbie would freak!

TrappedInColorado said...

Is it actually a LAW where you HAVE to use your turn signals? Wish I could comment on your post yesterday but can't risk it. I can say... bravo. I admire your courage.

Deb said...

Well, I live near New Jersey---and they never turn their signals or follow 'traffic rules'....Neither do the cabbies of NYC. Ugh. Love you GA people!!!

Grant said...

The thing that bugs me is that I've noticed most cops don't use their turn signals while driving in normal traffic. I don't like hypocrites of any kind, so I don't like seeing them enforce laws they don't bother to follow. And don't even get me started on the number I've seen use their cruiser to park in the fire lane to do some xmas shopping while on duty. Grr...

kathi said...

I don't mind if Orlando Bloom assists, if Johnny Depp is in charge.

Leigh said...

Really no turn signals?? That is crazy!! Hope you are having a good day!!

Rick said...

There's a Seattle neighborhood where drivers are known for never turning their turn signals off. Seems like a logical solution to me...

Phollower said...

The Spousal Unit and I complain about Indiana drivers being the same way. I always, always use a turn signal. I'm obsessive about it. But I'm sort of a chicken driver in general. Don't get me wrong, I've got the cruise control set at 13 MPH over the speed limit on the freeway all the time but I'm pretty unagressive in general.

Leesa said...

trapped: law, rule, guideline, whatever. All I know is that it is a ticketable offense.

~deb: Jersey girl? I thought you lived in upstate NY.

grant: yeah, police don't use their hazard lights when parked and beating the crap out of suspects either. Darned hypocrits!

shannon: what would be precious is if she said, "turn signals, what are those things."

kathi: as long as he doesn't wear his scissors. I like the Jack Sparrow outfit, and I have not seen the new movie - yet.

leigh: good day, thanks for asking.

whiteguy: those aren't turn signals. Those are ambulances and you are talking about a hospital!

phollower: I use turn signals most of the time.

Jason said...

Not only do Houston drivers ignore most of the traffic code, when someone tries to remind some of us that we're driving like jack asses, they get bullets flying their way.

Leesa said...

jason: remind me not to drive in Houston ever.

Anonymous said...

LOL... truly a DUH moment..