Tuesday, May 26, 2009

All Twittery Inside

Okay, I finally don't get Twitter. I thought I got it at first. Twitter was like a blog for lazy people; you know, people who could only string together 140 characters at a time. And these twitter people had to have a little more self-involvement than bloggers. I mean, with a blog, there are no instant gratifications.

In Twitter, all you have to do is follow a few people, and every once in a while, someone follows you back just because you followed them. Guess that is the same with some bloggers. I don't totally get this tit-for-tat reasoning, but it is alive and well.

For me, I read tweets when I am bored. And it makes me . . . more bored. Not sure why I am still tweeting, but I am. I am reading more than tweeting, but if you want to follow me on tweeter, please do so. And I have been baffled at some of my recent followers . . . .

Then someone by the name of Gary Vaynerchuk (self-proclaimed description: Wine guy, host of Wine Library TV. Video blogger and Businessman that loves people and the hustle) added me. What interest would a wine guy have in my little life?

And I got a newbie, Dr. Robert Rey, from Beverly Hills, CA. I have convinced myself he is not a plastic surgeon, trolling for middle-aged women in need of boob jobs. On the one hand, I guess I should be flattered that he thinks I have the money to travel all the way across the US in order to get silicone baggies inserted under my breasts. On the other hand, hey, he is dissin' my boobies. Does using "dissin'" make me sound pathetic and uncouth, even for a middle aged woman?

And now I have a band follower, We Shot the Moon. I am not sure if they are a really lame band that plays a lot of Hearts (the card game), or they are delusional marksmen, shooting at the moon without actually hitting anything (we hope). I went to their MySpace page, and I like their music.

I also have a new suspended account, Shelli11Kelly3. Every ten or so subscribers are these suspended accounts. I guess I am lucky enough to get what may be spam accounts. I think Twitter should give a trophy for the account with the most suspended accounts following them. Then perhaps John Mayer would win an award. Oh, other than all of his Grammies.

I started listening to/reading ScriptGirl. I can't tell if she is fake or not, talking about script sales. But it really doesn't matter if it is real. Just that you think it is real.



I have been trying to write 5 times per week, and I have figured if Tuesday or Thursday is crap, that's okay. Just moving the needle, so to speak.

11 comments:

Cliff said...

I think I'll just stick to blogging with a little Facebook on the side. No need to impress anyone with false claims. I'm lovable enough just being me;-)

Anonymous said...

May I have it noted I was an early follower. And yes, Twits are very self absorbed. Twitter exists to do nothing beyond telling people what you are doing.

Kim said...

I checked out the band. They sound good!

Xmichra said...

i checked out the music to. not my thing (too much like coldplay for me) but the guy has a good voice. Hope they do okay. Seems twitter is a really good venue for people like this band to get some recognition, another advertizing platform. Which is cool. And Twitter involves everyone (not just the hollywoods) so it is a level playing feild, thus better for advertizing. Pretty cool too.

Still. I do not use it. I don't really want to. Not for any particular reason than I don't need to use it I guess.

Does bug me that twitter uses @ instead of to or - for addressing a person. I am not sure why, but @Xmichra to me sounds like you are talking at me, not to me. Not entirely okay with that. lol... so many issues...

Miranda said...

I tried twitter, yeah its not for me either. I'm a blogger...and also guilty of Facebook. LOL.

Michael Mullady said...

I'm with you...I don't get Twitter...I'm on it, and I am following you. But I log on so infrequently that I really don't know what I'm doing. Oh well...facebook and blogger is for me.

Leesa said...

WIXY: Sometimes I wonder what the point is as well.

Knot: Unsure if I will continue to tweet.

Under: Sounds like, if you are musically inclined, you need to know more about Twitter, Facebook, etc.

Xmichra: I never thought about the at sign before.

Just me: I can't get into Facebook.

Michael: Yeah, I am not sure about Twitter, either.

Malach the Merciless said...

Wow, something we agree upon

Grant said...

I was waiting until Twitter became uncool before trying it, but it may already be too late.

kathi said...

I always enjoy you so much. Doesn't matter what you're writing about, it hooks me. Twitter...haven't gotten into it, I'm guess I'm just an old fashioned blogger at heart. :)

You middle aged...funny. Get real.

Deb said...

I'm seeing people write, "I'm a blogger", indicating that Twitter is another form of blogging, when it actually isn't. Most bloggers are Twitters... It's basically a little personal peek into their lives (if they so desire to share), with an occasional option to tell people about a post they've written - not to be confused with over-spamming people. I only follow 19 people, I have about 97 followers who are, like you said, either companies or bands or whatever - but I only follow friends or people who intrigue me with their writing, art or music. Nothing or no one else. Follow the tweets you like and never follow just to be followed. You don't want to read unnecessary Tweets. Plus, it's good for people to look you up on Google. Is it boring? Sure, it can be. I mean, I can't see sitting on a Twitter account hours at a time, but it can be beneficial in other ways.

"Moving the needle" lol... Great reference! :) That was a good post btw!

I'm hoping this comment was less than 140 characters. Why 140 and not 150?