Tuesday, May 19, 2009

A Closet Geek

Yesterday, I was told that I am a bit of a geek. And my first reaction is, "I am no geek." And then I reflected over my experiences.

When I was in high school, I took a class called "Computer Science." I don't remember much about the class, other than whatever we programmed in the class, I could do more quickly in my head. The first computer program just displayed "Hello World" on the screen. The second one printed the same phrase on a dot matrix printer. I learned about loops and how to use them to perform the same task a number of times. I also learned that I was not very good at computer programming (it was in Basic). There was one other girl in the class, and she understood computers. I am sure she is some executive in a computer-related enterprise by now. The boys in the class were very helpful. I am not sure I finished a program on my own, well, after the first program. And I am using the term program very loosely. About half of the lines of code were comments. Fairly geeky.

In college, I started using a computer as a sophomore for word processing. I knew people who would make computer cards, program and the like, but it did not interest me one bit.

I knew people in the dorms that would watch old tapes of Star Trek. That was not me. I did not get Star Trek, and I never would.

I remember going into chat room – the first one I saw my whole family was huddled around a computer, and I could not keep up with the number of conversations going on simultaneously. I think there is an art to that sort of thing, and I didn't have the talent. Plus I did not have the cash, as it cost $6/minute for access. Prodigy was the name of the service. I was exposed to this geekiness, but I did not enjoy it or really participate in it.

Fast forward to a few years ago, and I started this blog. At first, I just hung out my 20 or so erotic stories and began looking around. I had toyed with the idea of writing more erotic stories, but since I don't write them very often, the blog would be sparse.

And then I started to write.

My blog looked like any other blog, where the person involved did not know much about HTML. After a few months, I wanted to customize my blog. I had to learn about certain HTML elements. I wanted to hyperlink to other blogs, so I had to learn other HTML elements. Seems like I am getting a bit more geeky.

The thing is, I did not want to be a geek. I just needed the skills in order to make my blog look the way I wanted. A geek? Me? Nah. Although I don't mind knowing a thing or two about computers. I just don't want to attend Star Trek conventions. And the cool thing is that there were geeks before there were computers – think about building ham radios.

11 comments:

Deb said...

I envy geeks, especially ones who are HTML experts! My GAWD that is such a perk!

Do you remember the computer terminals in high school, (not sure if they made you do this), but they taught you had to make the computer say your name in different lettering designs from DOS? It was so idiotic but all the rage. ha!

I remember when I first went into a chat room - and AOL was the provider. At the time, my area in New York -a bit upstate did not have a local access number. My phone bill racked up $1,500.00 in one month. I didn't understand why my bill was so high and didn't understand that my computer was using my phone line. I ended up working for the phone company that charged me for using the access number and "worked it off" - ha... Ironic.

When I first started blogging, I turned my whole page orange. It was like that for a couple of weeks until some internet geek friend helped me out. I would love to tinker with my blog and change it a bit, but I don't like the new version. I prefer blogs with your type of format, black on white and some links - clean - easy and the sidebar doesn't distract what you're reading.

WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY too much coffee.Sorry for the long comment. Be well, stay away from Mexican food late at night. ;)

Xmichra said...

you are a closet geek ...
"And the cool thing is that there were geeks before there were computers" - that there makes your geekdome hit the register dear. lol....

I like being geeky. I know my way around fantasy sci-fi, a computer, the latest gadget and speak nerdy. It's all good.

Anonymous said...

That's not geek; that's someone who has a relationship with technology.

Leesa said...

Deb: I never worked on a terminal, not that I recall. Except perhaps a terminal in the library where you could order journal articles. That may have been a terminal.

Xmichra: I like the term closet geek. I think I will coin the phrase.

Knot: I like that.

Advizor54 said...

I think the key is to be functionally geeky, but socially adjusted.

I work with geeks, I hire geeks, and I go to lunch with geeks, but, as their boss, I am not a geek. I am not one of them, I do not speak their language, I do not share their interests.

I have seen the new Star Trek, they have studied it. I bought a new computer, they built theirs, from scratch. I can spell HTML, they can make it sing.

I am married and get to have sex on occasion, they build computers, from scratch.

You did a wonderful job with your erotic stories (would love to see more), and your web-site is fine.

You are just geeky enough.

Anonymous said...

Dear Leesa, you could never be a geek no matter how hard you tried. You are too wise and sophisticated, and you wear that so well. But, I do like the transition from early computer intrigue to writing erotica. And, why not?
Remember, now, this is Ian.

Leesa said...

Advizor: Functionally geeky. Nice term.

Ian: You cannot be wise and geeky? Hmmmm.

Grant said...

You should hear corporate execs deny their potential geekhood. It turns into a one-upmanship of who has fewer computer skills. Apparently they fear that a demonstration of usable skills will mean they are not management material.

Malach the Merciless said...

OK, that is not geekiness, that is being a nerd. I am a geek, I like comic books, Star Wars, Dungeons and Dragons, and such.

Leesa said...

Grant: Who knew that denying geekiness could pay so well.

Malach: I like Star Wars; I didn't think that made me a geek.

Joe said...

I was a high school computer programming geek but I stopped because I couldn't stand the people that I had to be around. Now they're all rich and I'm...well...not. Not the smartest decision I ever made...