Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Things Left Unsaid

From what I can tell, Jasmine wrote something last year, an exercise to write down 10 things she wished she could say to people in her life. Lots of people started doing this, and I think Grant's post is the funniest (read: best). I have been toying with the idea of doing something similar – but the difference is that I don't want to say these things. Words can be powerful; they can hurt. And I just don't want to hurt people.

1. You treat your husband like shit; I'd trade husbands straight up.
2. I make fun you when you play the lottery, but when the jackpot gets high, I throw my money away, too.
3. Street vendor, when is the last time you washed your hands?
4. I can tell when you are lying to me. Don't you realize how transparent you are?
5. I want to go back to college.
6. I would like to spend two hours a night and just write for myself.
7. Just once, when I go to the gym, I would like to ditch the workout and catch a movie instead.
8. I bitch about my parents, but after hearing others stories, I really shouldn't complain.
9. I love your children, but they can be real brats sometimes.
10. I could tell you why you are wrong, but that would make me look like a bitch.

I really believe that certain things should remain unsaid.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like these. And I checked out Grant's site for the first time. I think he has "Yellow Fever". I never imagined.

Grant said...

A lot of people balked at doing this because they didn't want to say the things they didn't say. Maybe you could do a list of 10 things you wish you hadn't said. Or 10 things you wish you never heard. Or post pictures of hot Asian women.

Kim said...

I could definitely come up with ten things. My problem might be limiting it to ten!

Jay said...

I think it's probably best NOT to ask the street vendor when he last washed his hands. It's also not a good idea to ask the last time he cleaned out his hot dog cart. ;-)

I keep thinking about doing this, but I have to make that the things I say aren't what I can't say to some people who read my blog. Did that make any sense at all?

Leesa said...

Knot: If anyone could contract Yellow Fever, I think it would be Grant.

Grant: 10 things I wish I hadn't said. That would be interesting.

Under: It is harder than it looks, I think.

Jay: I am not sure I understand you. But that's okay.

Cliff said...

I believe that there have been times I bit my tongue to keep from saying things that I would have apologized for later. Sometimes, however that leads to implosion.

I just lack the wisdom as to when I should or shouldn't say things. Now I know some who lack the common sense to keep their mouths shut.

Beast1624 said...

I totally agree that some things are better left unsaid. I also believe that silence when the truth can cause pain beyond repair is preferable.

Leesa said...

WIXY: I have a trick to keep my mouth shut, but you would not believe me if I told you.

Beast: I like your comment, " also believe that silence when the truth can cause pain beyond repair is preferable." There is an elegant truth in that sentence.

Cliff said...

Okay, I know you are not into this, but I have given you an award, based on your post about seeing the Star Trek movie.

Deb said...

I wish I had the courage to say certain things sometimes. I really really do!!!

And at other times, I say too much.
*sigh*

Leesa said...

WIXY: Thanks, sweetie.

Deb: I know what you mean.

kathi said...

Loved # 10...loved it.