Monday, May 11, 2009

Last Friday's Lunch

I almost did not tweet on this, and I really don't think writing a post about this will be good for me. You see, I don't want you to think I am a geek. Sure, I have learned a bit about HTML because I blog. But I am not a geek.

Big breath.

Friday at lunch, I saw Star Trek. I did not tell my boss, but I did say that the lunch might go a bit long. I did not particularly want to see Star Trek. I just wanted to rebel a bit, and sneaking out to a movie seemed like a rebellion that was not too terribly risky.

And you know, I did not really want to see the movie. I wanted to watch 17 Again, but amazingly, that movie is nearly done. At least, there was not a showing when I could take "lunch". But after watching it, I was glad I saw it (and probably not for the reasons you would guess).

But before we get into the movie, I want to talk about being bad. When I was in my twenties, I occasionally would leave work and watch movies. Well, I did this twice. I can't remember the movies, but I remember the feeling I had when watching them. I was scared that my boss would find out and fire me. So the entire time I was watching the movie, stealing time from my bosses, I could not enjoy myself.

Well, many years had gone by and I did not steal time from my bosses. I did not want to feel that way ever again, but something reminded me about the experience the other day. And I wondered if I had changed. Having worked for years, I thought perhaps my mindset, my person changed. And I had to know.

Back to the movie. I have not seen a Star Trek movie before, and from what I have read, the only good Star Trek movie is possibly The Wrath of Khan. I don't know if that is true or not, because I don't really care about Star Trek. I can't get through an original episode without yawning, and some of the spin-offs have me confused (Deep Space Nine). I loved "Next Generation", but I had a thing for the captain, the android and the guy with the visor. Plus the episodes were entertaining.

I watched the new Star Trek movie, and I enjoyed myself, but not because of the movie. I liked hearing the audience's reaction to the movie. One of the characters would say something, and then I would hear a geeky gasp, or a clap, or some other reaction. I sat next to a couple (the theater was packed), and the woman made noises that were darned near orgasm noises at one point in the movie.

Me, I had no connection with any of the characters. I mean, one of the characters I recognized as the "In Search Of" narrator – the old Spock character. But I did not see the Price Line guy in the movie, even though there were plenty of aliens he could have bedded.

The reviews of the movie were very positive, and if I was watching the movie without an audience, I might have left. It did little for me. Well, I wonder if I still have that part of me who does not want to get caught taking in a movie during work hours. Could be. I enjoyed myself, mostly because of how Trekkies reacted to the movie. Or is that Trekkers? Some people take Star Trek way too seriously – you will recognize them because they have schematics of the different ships in their rooms, presumably near a package of condoms whose expiration date is was in the last decade. And they can probably tell you the star date for the expiration date as well.

I am working on a new theory about the woman who was making orgasm sounds. Hmmmmm.

21 comments:

Grant said...

Did Uhura wear the 60's style miniskirt uniform? That's what I liked about the original series. Women from primitive societies wore fur bikinis, women from advanced societies looked like go-go girls.

Anonymous said...

Grant's right ...

Some of the inside jokes were lost on you if you never watched the series. I wouldn't call myself a "Trekkie" but I would say that the whole Green girl he's about to have sex with is a shot at Kirk. That's been one of those running jokes for years, Kirk beds lots of alien women and in one episode it was the green alien girl.

The "bones" joke on the shuttle out by McCoy became his nickname. Little stuff like that.

Fortunately, I was with a pretty sedate crowd at the 4:30 PM showing.

Kim said...

The movie theater version of "people watching." I love it!

Xmichra said...

I want to see this movie, but because i watched all the other shows and movies. Not a trekkie per say (i don't remember every little detail). But i like the show.

I find it more amusing that you felt like ditching work...lol...

Cliff said...

I'm not a trekkie, never have been and never will be. I'm happy that so many are enjoying the movie, as evidenced by all the reviews I've come across. I will probably wait for the DVD and not watch that either.

Leesa said...

Grant: I don't think Uhura had on a miniskirt, but wouldn't that information be deemed a spoiler?

Knot: I saw the next generation, not all of them, but some of them. That information did not help with the inside jokes.

Under: Isn't that why some of us go to the movies?

Xmichra: Then I think you will like the show.

WIXY: I enjoyed the movie in the theater for the reasons I mentioned; I would not have enjoyed it more in my living room. But I don't get many of the jokes.

Miranda said...

I'm not a trekkie at all, but years ago my g/f dragged me through the trekki museum in Vegas. Yeah, the things we do for love lol.

I really want to see 17 again though, it looks cute.

Ian Lidster said...

Kim Cattrall told me a number of years ago after she had been in one of the ST films, that she misguidedly attended a convention. It thoroughly creeped her out because she had to work to convince people that she wasn't 'really' a Vulcan. "They actually believe it's true," she said.

And I really do think your fun in the movie is because you snuck out. Illicit things tend to do that for us.

Anonymous said...

Next Gen does not equal Star Trek. If you really want to get a quick catch-up on Star Trek, all season 1 - 3 episodes are online at YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/show?p=Zk2dX5DnW_c

I would suggest "The Menagerie" I & II to get you caught up on the movie.

You're on YouTube looking at low quality videos anyway.

Anonymous said...

Forgot this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orion_(Star_Trek)

Leesa said...

Just me: I know, and I wanted to see it in the big screen.

Ian: Yeah, but skipping work is the most illicit thing I am up to these days.

Knot: Yeah, I am not a trekkie, and thanks for the link.

Unknown said...

I used to think I was a trekkie. (I managed to persuade my wife to name our first daughter "Miri" after the first season character. Okay, the name on the birth certificate is "Miriam," but we know what the real deal is.) Then I met some real trekkies. I agree with Knot - Next Generation was not Star Trek. It was Love Boat without the pool deck. I wasted a lot more time on it than I should have. As soon as I found out that they had children on a ship of the line, I should have written it off.

Jay said...

I was considering going to see Star Trek this week. Normally I wait for movies to come out on DVD and get them through NetFlix. The last movie I went to the theater to see was The Dark Knight. And before that it was three years ago to see Harry Potter.

kimber said...

I was, at one point, a wee bit of a fan -- never enough to go to a convention, but certainly enough to learn Klingon in order to write a linguistic paper on it. I didn't hinge my hopes and dreams on this film, and so it was, for me, just a lot of fun. :)

But I wish I had the chutzpah to sneak out of work to see it. That would make any movie exciting!

Leesa said...

Gary: You seem like a trekkie to me.

Jay: I have been watching a few movies in the theaters lately. Not sure why. We never went to the movies growing up. Never.

Kimber: I met one of the cast members once. Not on purpose, but I met him. A really nice guy.

Malach the Merciless said...

Wow, your are a Trekkie, at least I didn;t skip work to see it.

Anonymous said...

This blog is boring

Leesa said...

Malach: I would have skipped work to see any movie. Problem was, the movie I wanted to see was a bit too late.

Anon: What is sadder than a boring blog is a stalker who insists on stalking a boring blog. And I don't doubt that you know boring.

Anonymous said...

Is 'sadder' a word?

Leesa said...

stalker: "sadder" is a comparative form of sad.

Awake In Rochester said...

Working as a CNA you can't get away with "sneaking out." In fact although we are suppose to get a lunch by law we might have to work though it. One time I was paged at work during lunch and had to come back. The stupid nurse said that my patient was falling out of bed! She saw it, but didn't help her back into bed. Just paged me. Can you believe it? In some hospitals Aides are given badges that have tracking devices so nurses can tell where you are at all times. (I'm not joking!)

Well, I like Star Trek so guess you can call me a geek if you want. One of my favorite movies of all times is Star Trek 2 The Wrath of Khan. I truly wish that this new movie starts a new spin off. I grew up on Star Trek and want to see it when I'm old like 99 (hope I don't live long). Part of why I like it is hope. In the Star Trek world, there are no poor. The world has united after a honorable war. Peace on earth at last. And a bunch of really cool people to help us out in the future. Ok, so call me a geek, but I don't have schematics of the different ships in my room, but I don't have condoms either. I'm a lesbian. No condoms needed! Te he! :op