Thursday, March 08, 2007

Do-Over

I watched a 21-second video the other day from one of my favorite vloggers, IveGotaTheory. Hint: I was subscriber 15, and they have 40 now – join before the wave to say, "I was there when they were doing videos for each other."

Anyway, they have this twenty-one second video that asks the question, "What if you had the power to re-do any moment of your life. Would you do it?" It reminds me of the line in City Slickers where Mitch says, "Your life is a do-over." Okay, I looked for the exact quote and could not find it, but it seems to me that many thirty- and forty-something young adults wonder if they are where they are supposed to be. Is this all life has to offer?

Again, from City Slickers:
Mitch Robbins: Have you ever had that feeling that this is the best I'm ever gonna do, this is the best I'm ever gonna feel... and it ain't that great?
Station Manager: Happy Birthday.


When I saw that clip (the YouTube clip, not the City Slickers clip), especially when the clip suggested a moment and not a series of events, was there an event that I would like to do over? Immediately, I would have said the first time I cheated. That was a huge deal for me (cheating the first time), and the second time was much easier, the third time was even easier. It was the first time that I had to have some sort of inertia to "get over the hump" and, oddly enough, start humping. Without having whatever it took to cross the line into infidelity, would I have cheated later? Probably, if things did not change. But I would have liked to take my chances.

Okay, part of me, probably would have chosen a related event instead of the infidelity, that is, telling my doting husband. The look in his face – not just his eyes, was so painful for me to watch. I crushed him with my infidelity, and we are still healing years later. I have tried to sway people from cheating to having a good monogamous relationship. Because for me, it has made all the difference.

But, from all of this thinking, most things I have done that have turned out poorly I would not change. I don't look at my life and wonder what would have happened if I had done this or that differently, because, well, I can't redo this or that. And as time goes by, I am much less impulsive than I was when I was younger. So there is less for me to want to do over. Now that I look at what I have wrote, just watch the video. It is awesome. Perhaps I should have written this again as my do-over.

5 comments:

Prata said...

First! Hah, bitches! *blinkles*

I would never do any event over. I thought about it for a while and although at first, I figured I probably should do at least one event over in my life (saying something hurtful fo the Object of my Affection almost two years ago that resulted in our parting) I decided that it just goes to show doing things over isn't necessarily the wise thing to take to task. You are who you are today because of the decisions you made already. You are who you are because of what you encountered on the way and do any of you really want to be someone besides who you are at this moment? You'll be armed already with the knowledge of what did happen and then to do it over and take a completely different path to become someone that is you but at the same time not...doesn't seem like something most people would really want in the grand scheme of things. I don't believe I'd even want to do an event over if I lost all knowledge I possessed after having done the first event already. I just would hate to lose what I am today...and will become tomorrow for the sake of having a momentarily better feeling about choosing the second or third or fifth option in a set of options that have already taken place...if that makes any sense. ^_^

Besides, she came back (her to me not me to her) and I can't say I'm displeased at how this has turned out. And there's that.

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

My mom is someone who CONSTANTLY wants to dwell in the past..."I should've done this" or "If I'd only done that" and it drives me crazy. I tell her to just LET IT GO, because you can't change the past.

Leesa said...

prata: I completely agree with you. But if I had played the powerball and missed by one number, wouldn't it be nice to go back and bubble the right number?

stacy: yeah, my parents did not intentionally "have me." I mean, I don't think the sex was accidental, but the outcome was. Glad they can't do that over.

LarryLilly said...

I got heavy, I mean heavy issues, not weight. OK, I am heavier than I should be, but I digress.

There is ONE thing I would do over, I did not have to think about it for more than one NY second. I had a daughter that committed suicide, while she was undergoing supposed therapy. Is there ONE moment that I could wish I could redo? As I type this, there is always that ONE moment in my life.

I dont live in the past, I easily forgive, forget and more on, my wife says too easy at times. My own life has been one misadventure after another, yet I would not really change any of it, but that ONE moment, well, I would give my life to do that one over.

Leesa said...

larry: I don't have as "heavy" of a burden than you do, but I would imagine that I would similarly have a do-over that involved saving the life of my child, even if the cost would have been my own life.