Friday, October 20, 2006

Reeses Peanut Butter Cups and Synergy

When I was a little girl, I can remember a commercial. Okay, I can remember lots of commercials, but this commercial was for Reeses Peanut Butter Cups. Lots of different commercials, but two people bump into each other, one with a jar of peanut butter, one with a bar of candy.

"You got your peanut butter on my chocolate."

"You got your chocolate in my peanut butter."

You know, before Reeses Peanut Butter Cups (6 grams of fat, but oh, so good), I would have never thought about putting these two foods together. But somebody though about it.

Similarly, car seats with heaters in them. I would never have thought of that, but oh, what a wonderful mixture of two items.

There was a point to this, but actually, since I have been answering phones all morning, I can't remember what the point is. Son-of-a-bitch. It would have been a good post, too.

You know, there are things, in combination, that are so much better than each thing on its own. Peanut butter and chocolate, heated car seats on a cold winter's morn. Other things as well. In business, they call it synergy – when two corporations are more valuable than the sum of each corporation on its own.

You know, in a sense, that's what marriage can be. I mean, not as cold and calculated as a merger of two corporations, but in a sense, you have two individuals who, through marriage, may end up being part of something greater. I know, one may think this is some crazy Catholic woman talking about marriage and going "la la la," rose petals and walks in the park.

But this does not have to be a Christian thing. It is in my case, but it does not have to be. Have you met a couple, and thought to yourself, "What a wonderful couple; these are neat people." But would they have been as neat were they not married? I have heard several people, throughout my friendships, say things about their spouses making them better people.

That's what I want my marriage to be. Making my husband a better person – him helping me with my mess as well. Okay, you know, it does not have to be like that, but it is sure a nice thing. And I know you don't have to marry the guy to help you with this, but if you do, you get to fuck him. That' what my priest told me, the crazy Catholic girl.

15 comments:

Tony said...

Two magnets, both with a postive and negative end. Put the two positive ends (or negative) and they repel. Put the oppositely charged ends together and they attract, compliment each other and increase in overall power.

My wife tends to get wound up over things where as I remain even-keeled. Yet, when working on projects, i.e., painting, laying tile, yard work, etc. I tend to pay close attention to detail where as she is happy with the general look.

MOAB said...

Joe (my sweet darling husband) and I compliment each other. We have wide circles of indivdual talents, that overlap (in the sack---who am I kidding?) but not by much. So teamwork is somewhat rare in our home, I do the things I do, he does his things, and that is that. It gets lonely, but then again---do I really want to have to share the credit and spoils of victory?
We just revel in the fantastic-ness of our life together, and marvel at our great (and damn cute) kids.
We made a good merger.

Deb said...

A person (a lover or spouse) can really bring out the best in you. But to know your self worth before anything makes the union that much special.

Leesa said...

tony: ever notice how so many people marry to balance their households?

monica: love your comment! damn cute kids! Love it.

jef: thanks, I wish I would have had more time for its development, though.

~deb: know thyself; yeah, we should not forget this first.

Prata said...

Since you took away my christian argument (just teasing you babe), I'll make this argument instead. Why is marriage a necessity. Of course I have my own reasons for bringing that up, but I know you weren't really classifying it as synergy and marriage are the only way it works. I'm just giving you trouble.

I agree with you really about this. The object of my affection and I compliment one another. At least I'd like to think. We laugh together, we are well suited to solving problems together. She is more generally oriented than I am. But she is more organized than I. Extremely so really. Emotionally, we are opposites, though we have the same goals.

Dwardisimo Rex said...

What a lovely post. Isn't Xanax awesome?

Dr. Deb said...

What a fabulous way to look at marriage!!


TGIF,
Deb

Blog hog said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
QUASAR9 said...

That's what I want my marriage to be. Making my husband a better person – him helping me with my mess as well. Okay, you know, it does not have to be like that, but it is sure a nice thing. And I know you don't have to marry the guy to help you with this, but if you do, you get to fuck him. That' what my priest told me, the crazy Catholic girl.

Much disservice has been done to humanity by what people have said and what people interpreted as meant.

Fucking is not about procreation now days, so your priests advice is empty TODAY

However fucking for procreation is best done in a loving environment

Single Mums, divorcees, gay parents are part of society, but they are no more an ideal society than 'quarrelling' catholics or 'abusive' parents.

But alas society goes forward with all its ills and all its faults.

Spartans used to hand their children to the State - no personal 'ownership' of children and upbringing.

Mind you that is what Jesuits are good at too - except they include loving parents in the deal.

You cannot do away with divorce or divorcees, unless you start of with ideal matches

You cannot do away with widows or widowers unless you stop deaths, whether from war, accident or disease...

They are a part of society, but deep down no matter how many relationships we have, most of us (if not all) are looking for our ideal partner or soul-mate, some have found them, some are working on them

The mistake is to think we can make the person we like, are attracted to, or want - be the person we'd like them to be, instead of loving them for who they are.

Dwardisimo Rex said...

I like moist cake.

Grant said...

I hate heated car seats - they make me feel incontinent. But chocolate and peanut butter rule. Much better than dill pickles and grape Kool-aid.

Tony said...

No, but I have seen households balanced due to this type of marriage.

Leesa said...

prata: marriage is not a necessity, as you later admit to.

drex: Xanax is just a temporary solution. You can't use the drug for ever.

dr ~deb: thanks

quasar: religion, at least Christian religion, is very personal. I would not agree that priestly advice is empty.

grant: we all have different tastes. I like toasty seats.

tony: oh, well, I notice it.

QUASAR9 said...

"Get married so you can fuck him" sounds pretty empty to me Leesa

Get married to the one u love to procreate is sound advise in any religion or lack there of.

Priestly advice is good
I'm a Jesuit on my days off

Dwardisimo Rex said...

WTF? Really? Define forever.