Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Opinions at No Cost

I saw an article recently that stated: Eighty percent of respondents did not believe that bloggers should be allowed to publish home addresses and other personal information about private citizens.

A further 72 percent favored censorship of personal information about celebrities, and 68 percent, information about elected or appointed government officials such as judges or mayors.

However, more than one-third of respondents had never heard of blogs before participating in the survey, and only around 30 percent of participants had actually visited a blog themselves.


I think Kaavya Viswanathan published this. Actually it was TechRepublic. I little joke.

Here is what I find fascinating. Even though more than one third had never heard of blogs before (and more than two-thirds had never visited one), most could offer an opinion on the subject. Now I know that some would say that "just because I don't know what something is, I can still have my opinion on it." As Garth [Wayne's World] said, "We fear change." Now I am not suggesting that all people polled have electronic hands that they are smashing with rubber mallets. What I am saying is that Americans seem to have an opinion (and don't mind sharing it) even if they have limited real information.

Take politics – most people vote for candidates that they don't know anything about. I am not talking about voting for president. But when you have people in the booths, wanting to vote for president, they treat the ballot like a test, not leaving many blanks. If I had a really cool last name, I would want to be on the ballot. Leesa Carter the Agricultural Commissioner of Georgia – because my last name was cool.

What is a shame, I suppose, is that most of these positions that get elected probably matter in one way or another. Or if they don't really matter, there is still money being spent on the office, the office probably can dictate spending of additional funds, etc. So we are electing people who are tall (I have been told). But that is only for positions where we know what the candidate looks like. I fear that a large number of elected officials are being elected by people with a "testing complex" that happen to want to vote for president or against school bonds.

I would want to be married to Charlie Eppes, the brainiac guy on the series Numb3rs. Yummy. I saw that show when I was traveling a few months ago, and he was taste. Brilliant. Sexy. A completely fictional man, and this has little to do with the post today.

What is funny is that I offer my opinion on this blog 5 days per week. And some even listen. Most I think are looking for naked pics of ~Deb. That's why I am here.

13 comments:

Deb said...

Oh Leesa, I already gave you a naked picture of me! So what, I put my head on a perfect body---it's still me, right???????

Everyone has an opinion. That's why blogs are so much fun!

My opinion: Leesa for president!!! I'd totally vote for you babe! ;)

Edtime Stories said...

me too, however only if she lets me help pick the cabinet.

Actually Americans are infamous for having opinions about things they know nothing about. It is the intellectual free lunch and it keeps certain people in power. Just watch how a purely Republican Sex Scandal was so quickly blamed on....wait for it. Yes President Clinton and the Democrats. Wow.

What is amazing is that so many people just have opinions and when pressed don't even know why. But it is American to have them. I think the blog world like any media can be abused, and is. Bloggers have no one but their readers and occassionally their ISPs from monitoring them. Which is great for those who want to see naked pics of ~deb ;) and others or here the rants and raves of a pretty lady from Savannah.

Tony said...

Everyone, Grant included, thinks their opinion is right, even in the lack of any real evidence. Now, granted Grant may have evidence for his disdain of J-usagi with a side order of pooch or he may not. But he does have an opinion just the same.

Here in AL there is an individual on the ballot who is 6' 10" and goes by "Big Luther". I think they're playing on his height a little though I think he's nothing more than a special interest puppet. Again, another opinion.

I don't know who Charlie Eppes is, but if he has naked pictures of ~Deb I'll marry him.

Tony said...

p.s. I couldn't help but notice the number of comments you received yesterday compared to the last several posts. Hmm, it appears ~Deb is a hunted lady. Are you sure you didn't leak this to the NYT?

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

"most could offer an opinion on the subject"

...yes, even though they don't know a damn thing about them! That burns my ass worse than a two foot flame.

Knowledge is power. God God people...educate yourselves....it's NEVER been easier to get information than it is in this day and age.

NOTHING pisses me of more than someone who votes for a candidate just because he's running as a certain party. I've got Aunts (all older) who vote that way...argh!

Blog hog said...

You mean there is a difference in politicians?
Im getting hooked on reading Leesa's rantings everyday now.
Survey says, I also believe that its ok to post personal information like naked pictures on blogs, addresses optional. And we can expand it, it doesnt have to be just naked deb pics, Leesa can contribute and so can her blogger friends that post here. This circle of blogger friends is packed full of pretty, interesting ladies.
I dont care about them men, try to stay clothed in your pics gentlemen:)

Prata said...

Unfortunately, they do not make note if the survey defined what a blog is for those who did not know the term "blog" but may have known "web log" or somethin' similar. Either way, I think the survey (although I can't seem to locate the survey itself) is not so much about people having an opinion even if they didn't know about the actual thing that was being spoken about.

It's more about common sense. Does it make sense to pose information of someone on the net for all to see (ie public) which may hamper their lives or in fact cause the loss of their life depending on what context this information is being made available?

As far as voting goes, I vote Democratic if all other things are equal. Politicians lie and get caught up in the red tape as much as anyone else. Politicians also will sign bills (regardless of party allegience) where monetary worth is increased, so whether you vote party wise or candidate wise is neither favorable or unfavorable.

Those that think otherwise may be a smidgen misinformed about the state of our government.

nosthegametoo said...

I have nothing to add to an interesting post. I don't wonder about people's opinions anymore.

Who knows why people have their opinions, or on what foundation they are formed.

I stopped trying to guess a long time ago.

Leesa said...

~deb: I would not want the job as president.

ed: I still don't know where the Foley thing will go.

tony: I have actually met people who think their opinion is wrong. Sort of weird.

stacy: agree totally.

prata: the voice of reason.

nos: thanks!

Blog hog said...

Im beginning to get the feeling that Leesa doesnt like me, haha

Leesa said...

gw: sorry - I was really busy today and quickly answered the comments earlier. But, it's tough being a politician, gs mush. Half your reputation is ruined by lies; the other half is ruined by the truth.

Pittchick said...

I love the show numbers! I have opinions on just about everything, but mostly because wishy-washy-ness (is that even a word?) really bothers me!

Leesa said...

dna: I am a fan as well!