Friday, February 06, 2009

Vague Random Friday #25

I have not done a Random Friday for a while. I feel a bit of scatterbrained, actually. Because I cannot really hold a thought, I figure I would just write on a mode of blogging that does not rely on having a thought held together through two consecutive paragraphs. Oh, crap, I can't hold a thought together for one paragraph.

Brains and Drugs
Not holding a thought. There are some that think this temporary condition is sad, perhaps a disadvantage. Personally, I think my sometimes scatterbrained moments keep me from trying mind-altering drugs.

More on Drugs
Unless you have been living under a rock, you know Michael Phelps has appeared in a picture with drug paraphernalia. I have several thoughts: how come when he did something in South Carolina, the first news comes from England? Guess they were high bidder.

Still More on Drugs
I was driving in the car the other day, listening to a talk type radio program. One of the callers was saying that Michael Phelps is proof that you can be a recreational drug user and still be a productive member of society. "I mean, look at Phelps. He won 8 gold medals and we now know that the drugs didn't hold him back."

Two things: (1) he has won more than 8 gold medals (14 or so, I think – and if I am wrong, I am not stoned; I am scatterbrained). (2) he had like a bazillion drug tests during training and competition and no drugs (performance enhancement or illegal) was found in his system. As far as I know, there is no cause and effect that shows that marijuana use leads to fast swimming. If fact, I think it makes sperm swim a bit slower. Or is that urban myth?

Google Search Features
The other day, I was googling something, and Google suggested that I might find this "tool" helpful: Search Features Way cool, but I doubt I will remember this in days.

Tribute in Light Memorial in the cloud above ManhattanAccuWeather Picture
A picture is worth a thousand words. I was looking at the weather the other day – and it suggested a picture. The picture to the side. At first, I thought it was some sort of alien/UFO-type mocked up picture. But then I read about it: "As the anniversary of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attack approaches, a test of the Tribute in Light Memorial illuminates a passing cloud above lower Manhattan. The twin towers of light, made-up of 44 searchlights near Ground Zero, are meant to represent the fallen twin towers of the World Trade Center. Depending on weather conditions, the columns of light can be seen for at least 20 miles around the trade center complex. U.S. Coast Guard photo by Public Affairs 2nd Class Mike Hvozda"

Sexy Dumb
When I was in high school, occasionally I played like I did not know the answers to questions because I wanted guys to like me. In a weird, twisted sort of way, I thought dumb was sexy. I learned way later that guys did not think dumb was necessarily sexy – they just figured it would be easier to sleep with a girl that was a bit slow. Not all guys mind you, but some I know. But in high school, it did not often occur to me that sleeping with girls was a common thought among hormone-rich guys.

Death
I am currently writing two blog entries about . . . death. This disturbs me on so many levels. One I thought about months ago, but never finished it. One I started yesterday – was going to post it today but did not have the energy, brainpower or lucidity to finish it.

Friday makes a better hump day than Wednesday. Have a wonderful Friday. Me, I am going to get paid for inferior intellectual efforts today. All is good.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never thought dumb girls were sexy ... ever. A lot of guys did. Smart girls are always sexy.

And the Michael Phelps drug thing ... what a bone head.

Joe said...

Agree with the above about the smart/dumb thing.

The towers of light are always a pretty powerful thing to see.

Working on my own Random Friday thing. Can you please stop stealing my ideas before I get around to posting them?

Alternately, you can write my blog posts for me. It's about time that we get some quality writing on that thing...

Leesa said...

knot: some dumb guys are sexy. Not worth me spending time with, but can be sexy.

joe: good luck on the Random Friday post. Probably better than my post, I am sure.

Ian Lidster said...

Wonderful randomness. Loved its wit and wisdom. Dazzling mag cover. You could do that in real life, you know.

LarryLilly said...

Thats alright, when I was in HS, which was way back, I didnt know how sleeping with a girl meant sex. I could not draw the dots from sleeping with a girl and sex.

Not the sharpest knife in that drawer. I blame it on my elementary and middle Catholic School education.

Leesa said...

ian: thanks, sweetie.

larry: I did not even think about sleeping with a guy until I was in college.

Anonymous said...

I don't think athletics are necessarily all they are hyped to be. Backyard baseball or football are fun when you're a kid. Organized sports are usually less fun. The gold medals are an achievement but not necessarily fulfillment.

"Life is but a walking shadow"-Shakespeare

"O Death where is thy sting?"-St. Paul

Leesa said...

btsea: I think the preparation for athletic competition can be beautiful. Maybe.