Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Comments and Toenails

Okay, I don't read as many blogs as I used to. And for the most part, I don't comment on blogs, either. A few years ago when my blog was more popular, I would pop on blogs a lot more. But I don't often write about when my blog hardly got any readers.

The first day, I figured I would get a few hundred readers, eager to read my words. I got 4 comments the first day. Wow. That sucked.

And then it occurred to me – I could read other people's blogs (I was already reading some; part of the reason I thought I would write my own blog) and them post comments on their blogs. But not just comments like "I totally understand." Or "Nice post." I would post comments funny enough to draw people away from the blog they were reading onto my blog. I would try and be witty.

So basically when I read a blog, I try and be witty or I might say, "Wow, that is a great post." And when I say something is a great post, it is meant for the blog writer, really. No one else. I know it can be hard to write original and interesting material, and it is my way of saying, "That post worked for me; thanks for writing it without thought of compensation."

SSC wrote about how she scared some commenter off in her blog today. And someone said something about my comments yesterday. Who said it? Not important.

I posted a couple of comments that could have been taken a different way – and they were. I was trying to be funny in both cases, and I failed miserably. Some days you are on, and some days, well . . . better to read blogs without commenting or paint your toenails. Yesterday was a toenail-painting day. Where did I place my coral polish?

14 comments:

Grant said...

Nice post. I totally understand.

Cliff said...

Sometimes you try to be witty and in my case there are times that I appear to be only 50% wit.

I like it when people comment. Most of the time I will go and check out the blog of those who comment if it's the first time they have commented on my blog. And if you want to let a snark loose every once in awhile, that's fine also.

Remember your statement that you blog to improve your writing. Commenting is part of blogging.

And I plan on introducing you to the rest of the bunch later this week.

Vic said...

I was surprised at the apparent reaction your comments triggered yesterday. It's hard enough putting yourself out there for all to dissect, without being shut down!

Just keep going, toe polish or not!

Leesa said...

grant: I totally get you.

74: thanks for the introduction. Not necessary but appreciated.

acuity: yeah, I thought it was important enough to post on Tuesday. I don't often post on Tuesday.

Joe said...

Like you, I find myself reading fewer blogs these days and commenting less. Consequently, I have fewer readers and comments on my blog than I used to, but I'm okay with that.

But when I post a comment that I mean to be funny and it's taken in a way I didn't intend? That really bothers me.

But I'm not sure that you've ever failed to be witty.

kathi said...

Wow, that was a great post.

;) See, I appreciate your smart assed attitude, but that's just me. Probably because I can relate to it. It's the overly sweet comments that annoy me.

Leesa said...

joe: I sometimes am off the mark.

kathi: and I can't comment on your blog anymore. You turned off comments.

LarryLilly said...

My mind is like a giant sieve, holds little but sees lots pass through it.

Here is the way i see blog-land. People that are really well read, like Attack of the Redneck Mommy have too many comments for its writer to comment back on. Other bloggers like me LOL, dont have anything to say or like me, had e-mail rants for 4 years before blogs came around and i am so tired of it that maybe have one or two readers a MOINTH so they (I) dont say much.

So people in the middle like you are both well written; have varied topics, and also respond back in a chat room way without the walls.

As far as being taken the wrong way, dont GARA.

Deb said...

I think text can be misconstrued. I like critiques, as you've mentioned that my writing isn't extremely creative---I love blunt honesty. Sometimes when it comes to borderline racial remarks, text can be an awful tool used to voice that. So a lot of things were taken the wrong way. Then you have those people who are so insecure with comments altogether that they eliminate the ability for others to comment because of bitterness on their end, possibly due to a critique. If it were all "sweet comments", I'm sure all comments were to be a free for all.

Just sayin'.

Ian Lidster said...

Toenail painting is good, too -- I imagine. I've never indulged. Should I try? Anyway, sometimes a blog makes me leap up like a standing ovation and inspires (what I think is)a perfect response. Others, not so much. Actually, Leesa, your blogs often intrigue me because they are both linear and not at the same time. Seriously, that is really adept writing. I actually hated it when you quite blogging for a time a while back. I missed you, and not just beacause you're gorgeous.

Leesa said...

larry: I give a rat's butt.

~deb: you are extremely creative. I said just the opposite.

ian: that's so sweet. Not sure I agree with it, but it is sweet nonetheless.

Deb said...

Well that's what I mean by text being misconstrued, however I beg to differ re: my extreme creativity, because I certainly cannot transition so beautifully as this: "I believe the ability to create and express yourself in an artistic way is a product of the number of orgasms you can achieve on a given evening."

That my dear, is creative! ;) I love your transitions. So much better than my boring ass psychobabble... I need you on my team! (Writing team, that is...) That sort of came out weird too.

Ok.

Nite nite sweetness!

Leesa said...

~deb: your words are humbling . . . .

Anonymous said...

Your blog is ok for readers with IQ's in the 100-105 range. Everyone has their niche, nice post today.