Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Playing with Google

Okay, unlike Prata, I use Google. Yes, I know Google is an arm of the Chinese government, helping keep more than 1 Billion Chinese from getting unfiltered Internet. Personally, I think the Chinese government does not want their people uploading pictures of Chinese hotties. For if they did, I am sure that red-blooded Americans would want to move to Shanghai and rent out a flat, auditioning them for less than professional movies.

But I digress.

I use Google to pretend I am someone I am not. For instance, there is a way you can use Google to find unlocked directories on the Internet. I use this to pretend I am a spy. Not the type of woman in stiletto heels who can kick a man's ass any time she feels like it. No, I am more the girl next door type, that stumbles onto something she should not see and starts fleeing with an attractive co-star.

And I did look for a document named "secret.doc." Now I cannot speak Spanish, but I did get one interesting find. It appears to be a document by the Columbian Secretary General's office, concerning how to properly go about carrying on statistical functions (or analyze statistical inferences). Again, I don't really know what this is about, but it is cool.

So after my heart stops racing at the possibility of a Government that comes crashing down on my head, I start to think of fun things to look for.

I guess I ought to tell you how I am looking for this stuff. Say I want to read people's resumes. How can I do that, you wonder. First, I think of an easy-to-guess name of a resume file. For starters, lets go with resume.doc. Then you can place the following in the Google search bar: -inurl:(htm|html|php) intitle:”index of” +”last modified” +”parent directory” +description +size +("resume.doc"|"resume.txt")

When I first did this, the first resume I read was actually for a System Administrator. Can you imagine a System Administrator who does not lock down his own files and has a document called resume.doc. I half-thought I would find another file labeled password.doc so I could see his passwords.

But enough of this. I am sure you can find lots of uses for this little trick.

8 comments:

LarryLilly said...

type in leesa, and what you get is yesterdays rants.

I write industrial water permits and my name goes on them. When I issue a bunch of them, especially if they are contested ones, when I do a google, they pop up. Wait a few days, and they slip back so far down not even Lewis and Clark could find them LOL.

Tony said...

I don't know why someone would call their resume "resume.doc". I call mine "&8rti*0w.doc". I keep it with my salary history titled ")9JLkj.doc" and my evaluation titled "O;lnn23.doc". All this is in a folder titled "i^kwd" for easy reference. :)

Prata said...

Most admins don't mind that their resume is accessible. In fact many people (such as myself) put our resumes online.

Here's a trick for all you people that don't know any better. Open up Limewire, or some other windows based gnutella client. Shareaza works as well. Or an Overnet client and try the different tax forms instead of music or movies. You can also try your little google stint and see how that works out for you. ^_^

This is your lesson for the day.

LarryLilly said...

Prata said...

Most admins don't mind that their resume is accessible. In fact many people (such as myself) put our resumes online.

Prata, is that like a lawyer tossing his buisness card at the scene of accidents?

Job trolling? LOL

Leesa said...

larry: interesting.

tony: I label my resume "smartass.doc"

prata: you said that most admins don't mind that their resume is accessible. That's not what I was talking about - how about having their files out in the open, yet they are supposed to be the experts on security.

Leesa said...

vx: I know what you mean!

Prata said...

Admins are not experts at security. Security is a different field than administration. Some admins have stronger backgrounds in that than others, but certainly are not expects. There are security consultants for that.

And yes Larry it is! hehehehe

Blog hog said...

Leesa
just be careful and stay out of pentagon files, hehe