Wednesday, September 27, 2006

My Fashion IQ: 12

We are all idiots. We truly are.

Think of the most comfortable clothes you could wear? Done. Good. For me, it is jeans. I love wearing jeans, and at work, if I ever come to work in jeans, people look at me as if I slept under a bridge.

Then, many people will say the exact same words, "A little casual today, huh?" Or perhaps, "Dressing casual today?" It is almost as if there is some sort of employee policy: Ifyou see a coworker in comfortable clothing, ridicule them until they conform to the uncomfortable standards we set at this company.

We are all morons.

We have the power to say, "Nice jeans." And leave it at that. But even though I hate hearing the casual policy stuff, I have caught myself saying "dressing casual today?" Me, the one who hates this so much have said it. More than once.

Jeans are so freekin' comfortable, and nearly everyone looks good in jeans. Heck, you can dress them up with a jacket or such, and you still look hot in jeans. So what is bad about a company's bottom line if people wear jeans?

We definitely are not playing with a full deck.

Comfortable clothes – can't work in them, can't go to the grocery store in them. We do things around the house in comfortable clothes. You do it, I do it, we all do it, and we are freekin' morons.

There are some things that are good for you – when I went off to college, I ate a little more, gained a little weight (the freshman five), and then adjusted. I wore nice things to school in high school. In college, after a month, I rolled out of bed, showered, and put on shorts and a t-shirt. Shoes for this shoe lover: tennis shoes or sandals. If you would have given me this information when I was a senior in high school, I would not have believed how I would have dressed myself as a freshman in college.

Now that I am a fully-functioning adult – I wear, for the most part, uncomfortable clothes to work, to church, out to dinner, and on the weekend (unless we are bumming around the house). We only have so much time on this Earth, and it looks like we will spend many of our days in uncomfortable clothes, uncomfortable shoes.

We indeed are idiots.


I got the following from VX. I normally don't do these things, but it was a "what the hell" type of day.
You Belong in Amsterdam

A little old fashioned, a little modern - you're the best of both worlds. And so is Amsterdam.
Whether you want to be a squatter graffiti artist or a great novelist, Amsterdam has all that you want in Europe (in one small city).

15 comments:

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

My favorite garb is an old ratty t-shirt and my ragged pair of shorts....as soon as I hit Palace Peanut, it's off with the heels and I'm barefoot. I look like a bum....I love it.

And I could not agree with you more about the jeans thing. The last week of every month (at work) is "jean week". As long as we wear our company t-shirt, we can wear jeans. It's terrific...my favorite week of the month! :)

Deb said...

We used to have to donate $5 bucks every Friday in order to have the privilege to wear jeans.

I actually prefer dressing up. It makes me feel better and makes me comfortable going into any establishment. Sometimes if I dress 'too down', I'm a bit shy to walk around...but hell, I'm comfy!

At home, it's ripped up, torn jeans with a white t-shirt and flip-flops & bandana. A friend came over (always seeing I dress up usually) and didn't even recognize me. That's fun sometimes! Shock em'!

Muse said...

I pretty much always dress comfy, whether at work or play. I refuse to comply to the work dress codes so Ive found a place to work where the boss wears shorts and plays golf nearly everyday.

To have to dress up everyday would be to damn draining on me, cause well, Im just a lazy bitch. :-)

Anonymous said...

Yes. It is dumb. I mostly wear the uncomfortable stuff to work. Have to. Jeans on Fridays. BUT...I say take up running...somehow that has afforded me the right (in my brain only, i know) to dress however the heck i want any other time. I go out to the grocery store, gas station, sometimes out with friends...in just about whatever suits me...jeans, at times, could even be an upgrade! I say wear your jeans whenever you want!

Amsterdam...I've always wanted to go there. Of course you are the best of both worlds!

Anonymous said...

Isn't Wednesday a pants optional day?

Rick said...

Where is Jimmy Carter when you need him? He made a fashion statement by wearing jeans to the Oval Office most every day. Imagine. A nuclear peanut farmer.

Leesa said...

stacy: one of the best reasons to move to FL - dress code. Right?

~deb: I sometimes like dressing up, but not when it is expected/manditory.

halo: I sometimes need a halo-attitude adjustment.

VX: I can't run. Running is too much like work.

mike: panties optional, actually.

rick: Jimmy Carter is my hero.

eyes_only4him said...

its eiather jenas or workout pants for me...is that wrong?

:)

Prata said...

I do not wear jeans. I don't like them. I hate them actually; however, I love sweats. I will wear sweats just about anytime of the year and/or day. I have been known to come to work in sweats, when on call and coming in at night. There is a dress code so I can't, sadly, where them during the day. When I go anywhere..and I do mean anywhere..I will wear either sweats or slacks. I find slacks comfortable too, I don't know why.

Tony said...

We're a bunch of idiots? I think Will Rogers said it best "We are all experts, just in different areas."

I thought Thursday's were underwear optional.

Deb said...

Just wanted to tell ya I responded to your comment on Amy's "Say It Hot" post. :)

mal said...

shorts are the ultimate in comfort for me....so of course I moved to a climate and have jobs where I can not wear them... you are right, we are not very bright

JR's Thumbprints said...

Usually, the more expensive the clothing, the more uncomfortable it is. I'm all for jeans (preferrably Buddy Lee).

Leesa said...

bossy: I love to wear workout clothes but only if I don't have to work out!

prata: got to love your passion.

tony: there are days when I hope Will Rogers was completely wrong.

~deb: I can't even remember what I said.

gw mush: reformed slut, thank you very much.

mal: I love shorts! Now only if I did not have to shave to feel good about wearing them!

thumbprint: I like Lee jeans.

Pittchick said...

I get to wear jeans and t-shirts to work. I guess that's all going to change when I leave academia.