Friday, September 22, 2006

Internet Phenom: Jessica Lee Rose

I have seen a lot of "You Tube" videos on other people's blogs, and I started messing around with You Tube this week. I understand that some use You Tube just so that they can serve small videos on their own sites, and I thought that's all it was about. I was wrong.

Almost instantly, I tripped onto lonelygirl15, and from viewing the clips, I immediately thought it was some film student using a drama student to create a nice little VLOG. I was wrong.

From Wikipedia (copying it because this may be deleted soon from the site):
Jessica Lee Rose (born April 26, 1987) is an American-born amateur actress from New Zealand who rose to popularity after playing the role of lonelygirl15, a fictional character on the popular website YouTube. Controversy arose when she was "outed" by two hackers (C. Yoon) who discovered her real identity, and that she was merely playing a role. Many viewers of her videos on YouTube believed that her episodes, played out in vlogs, represented actual events being retold by a living person.

Born in Salisbury, Maryland, Rose attended Mount Maunganui College in New Zealand's Bay of Plenty and is a graduate of the New York Film Academy's one-year acting for film program at Universal Studios. She has previously done make-up and costume work on a New Zealand short film titled Us, and she played a leading role in a short film titled 'Dearly Beloved.'


I guess I knew it was a scam from the writing - it seems to be better than average. I absolutely love the video blog on Lazy Eye. A wonderful commentary. But now there are tributes to lonelygirl15, and even at least one bulletin board/forum. It looks like lonelygirl15 has been on MTV, the New York Times, and other news outlets. But you know I live in a cave in Savannah, so I did not see any of it.

Actually I found lonelygirl15 by finding another VLOG that had someone who imitated lots of VLOGgers (not sure if this is a word). Most could guess lonelygirl15, and so I searched for her. I also found a comedian named Sherry Sirof doing VLOGs. She was hysterical. I love her thing about bad haircuts.

Actually, a lot of this stuff is stupid, and I really did not have time – I liked Sherry, but I half-thought most of other people's VLOGs was fart humor, amateur comedians and something called a beer cannon (I did not dare click on those). I guess the You Tube was suggesting humor to me, and that was okay. I needed humor yesterday.

Heck, I have not been writing much or reading blogs. But yesterday, I spent some time looking at You Tube. It is freekin' addictive. But I better get back to my normal blogging activities. I hate getting out of the routine.

9 comments:

Deb said...

I saw her on Jay Leno for the first time, and then linked to her youtube video. She is just adorable!

Grant said...

I like YouTube because I can find clips of shows that I like on TV. They have several of my new fave Metalocalypse.

Cinderella said...

I never heard of her until someone mentioned that I reminded them of her (lonleygirl15) I didn't know how to take that news! lol

But yeah, it's a cool way to post video's I guess, I never tried.

Have a great weekend.

Leesa said...

~deb: she is cute. And it reminded me of being younger. All of the issues I had almost forgot about.

grant: I can never tell when you are kidding or not. Since I don't watch TV, I have no idea if that is a real show.

cinderela: you are prettier than she.

Advizor54 said...

You have got to check out the beer cannon on YouTube. It's an great set of clips where they shoot beer cans, nacho cheese bottles, a wine bottle, and other similarly shaped items at a host of targets. It's compellingly bad art, all shows in slow motion, of course....

The compilation video sets the whole thing to the 1812 Overture and it's the best 5 minutes of the day....

http://youtube.com/results?search_query=beer+cannon&search=Search

Tony said...

Just another example of how you can be anything you want on the internet.

BTW, my parents never had sex either.

Unknown said...

Hi Leesa

I'm sorry to bother you here in comments, but I wonder if you could point me in the right direction to find the code for your drop-down menus.

I've searched high and low for manually edited ones like yours ie: Blogs That Impress Me, Blog/Writing Tools. And failed.

Thanks. (I would have emailed, but you don't want to be bugged by nuts like me. Wise.)

Wombat

Dr. Deb said...

Amazing what can happen on the internet.

Leesa said...

advizor: must be a guy thing!

tony: some of these vlogs are actually pretty funny.

wombat: I answered your question today.

dr. ~deb: blows my mind.