Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Sports and Politics

NCAA Football Top TenI captured this image a couple of weeks ago, I think. I was going to write something about rankings, perhaps talk about the BCS. Well, I have no idea what I was going to say, because I never wrote anything down.

A week ago, President-Elect Obama had this to say on Monday Night Football: "I think it is about time we had playoffs [in college football]. I'm fed up with these computer rankings and this and that and the other. Get eight teams -- the top eight teams right at the end. You got a playoff."

 BCS Top Ten for November 9, 2008Some football fans credit this statement, on the eve of Election Day, putting him over the top. Me, I think it was more to do with politics, or the fact that W. Bush sucks.

I am very much in favor of a playoff, mostly because my team is Georgia Tech, and if we slide in at number 8, we may have a shot at winning a national championship. It could happen, a heck of a lot more likely than us going 12-0.

I want to say something philosophical and deep about football, but that sort of ruins the game. Am I right or what?

7 comments:

Joe said...

I'm all for a playoff, too, but GT being among the top 8? That's just a fantasy - and not one of the usual Leesa type. ;)

Grant said...

Football...boring. Losing...consciousness.

Actually, I love everything about football except watching the actual games or talking about it or playing fantasy football or reading articles about rankings. But the superbowl commercials and cheerleaders are nice.

~Deb said...

I'm trying to learn about football and get more into it because there are a lot of rules to it and technicalities other than just getting the ball farther and farther to the other side.

Anyway, I really think people are Bush'd out and they didn't want to see the same ol' thing for the next four years. Obama brings people a breath of fresh air...

Although...I'm not one for "change". :|

Knot said...

I'm as happy as I have ever been. My team is #2. And we're proud to say that.

Knot

btsea said...

I prefer the bowl system to playoffs. I like having a little controversy as the season ends. That way everyone at least gets to think they're number 1. ;)

Leesa said...

joe: might I remind out of 1989. Okay, I don't remember when they were in the top 8 last. It has been a while.

grant: Superbowl? What's that?

~deb: Obama will be well-liked, I think. I just hope he can recruit people to fix the mortgage mess.

knot: A Texas Tech fan. Great!

btsea: You must be a radio talk show hostess.

Anonymous said...

From :http://www.folkdiaries.com

I love to read your stories ...It is like I'm there ...Almost I can see what you are writing ...Thanks for sharing those with everyone ..

Check out http://www.folkdiaries.com , the platform for authors and publishers. Check out new stories and articles as well. When ever you submit a article/story to the site folkdiaries.com, it will be automaticaly sent to multiple publishers. And if they like it , you will have a opportunity to sell it to them.Check it out once.